It’s national vegetarian week and…
It’s national vegetarian week and did you know the first vegetarian cookbook in the UK was written in 1812?
No? Me neither, so now we have that covered... onto the food!
So….as a long standing veggie this is perfect! A week for us to highlight the best food which simply happens to be veggie or vegan…here are my top ten vegetarian leftover recipes:
- Lentil, Aubergine and Tomato Moussaka – absolutely delicious - great frozen in portions ready to act as a homemade ready meal on nights we can’t be bothered to cook in the freezer.
- Leek and Broccoli Mini Muffins - delicious savoury muffins which are great for using up any cooked green vegetables such as leeks, broccoli, courgettes and spinach left over from another main meal.
- Veggie stew with apricots – great way to use up any veg you have in the fridge and packed with nutrients.
- Inspirational banana ice-cream – as a household who hate bananas when they start to go black this works time and time again. In fact it’s a cheat really to call it a recipe...take a look and find out why!
- Hot and sour vegetable and noodle broth - a great ‘meal in a bowl’ soup that takes only minutes to put together and is a great base for using up veggie odds and ends.
- Pineapple and Mint Clafoutis - low fat and incredibly simple to make. Made like a batter and flavoured with vanilla and mint. Other leftover fruit would also work well such as apples and pears.
- Rachel Khoo's Terrine Forestière (Wild Mushroom Terrine) - this recipe from Rachel’s book The Little Paris Kitchen is a great way to use up mushrooms, crème fraîche and parsley
- Stripey multi-fruit smoothie - good for using up all sorts of fruit - you can just blend all the fruit together but making it stripey gives different layers of flavour. We even have a video with our very own Cheryl showing you how to keep the smoothie stripey!
- Hara Bhara Kebab - spiced spinach, green pea and potato patties lightly flavoured with cumin and chat masala - perfect. This recipe comes from award winning chef Aktar Islam from Lasan Restaurant in Birmingham. Yum!
- And finally roasted pumpkin and coriander soup from chef Kevin Woodford- a refreshing and healthy way to use up squash or pumpkin. Don’t forget to use the pumpkin or squash seeds to make a tasty nibble Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
And if you have any foods leftover then don’t forget to select that food from the drop down list on the recipe page to find new ways with good old foods……and pop any leftover meals in the freezer and label them…perfect homemade ready meals!