Bubble and Squeak
This is a great leftover recipe that can be made with any vegetable leftovers from the Sunday lunch. Serve with a poached, fried or scrambled egg and crispy bacon or with poached smoked haddock fillets or grilled trout.
Recipe author:Caroline Marson, Banbury
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 4 rashers streaky bacon, cut into small pieces
- 450g leftover mashed potato
- 300g leftover mixed cooked vegetables - roast parsnips, green beans, brussel sprouts, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli or peas, chopped into small pieces
- black pepper
- 25g hard cheese, grated
- 25g butter, melted
- Plain flour
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the finely chopped onion for 4-5 minutes until soft. Add the cut bacon and cook for a further 3-4 minutes or until it begins to turn a golden colour.
- Remove the pan from the heat and transfer the bacon and onions into a large bowl.
- Add the mashed potato and cooked vegetables, season well. Add the cheese, mix well and divide the mixture into six portions.
- Using your hands, shape each portion into a cake. Put a little flour on a plate and coat each cake in flour on both sides.
- Put onto a greased baking tray and brush with a little melted butter. Bake in a preheated oven (200°C/400°F/ mark 6) for 25 minutes or fry on both sides until golden brown.