Celery, Broccoli and Stilton Soup
Stilton can often hang around for a bit too long in the fridge so try making this lovely thick soup, which would work well as a starter for a New Years Eve Party.
Recipe author:Caroline Marson, Banbury
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 sticks of celery, roughly chopped
- Some olive oil
- 1 large potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 litre turkey, chicken or vegetable stock (veg stock only if guests are vegetarian or vegan)
- 300g broccoli, roughly chopped
- 100g of Stilton, Roquefort or other blue cheese
- black pepper
- pinch of nutmeg
- Chopped chives to serve
- Warm crusty bread
- Cook the onion and celery in 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large pan until soft (about 5 minutes). Add the potato and stock and simmer until the potato is tender. Add the broccoli and cook for 3-4 minutes until just tender but still bright green.
- Add half the cheese with the seasoning and nutmeg and whiz to a smooth soup in a blender.
- Crumble the remaining cheese over the top, sprinkle with chives and serve with warm crusty bread.