- Dash of any vegetable oil
- 400g (14oz) mixed vegetables, chopped (e.g. onion, peppers, carrot, mushrooms, cabbage)
- 500ml (17floz) vegetable stock (stock cube is fine)
- 50g (2oz) pasta (any dried pasta or broken spaghetti)
- 1 x 400g (14oz) tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon each dried oregano and basil
- 1 x 400g (14oz) tin mixed beans, drained
- Pinch salt and pepper
- 60g (2oz) grated cheese to serve (Parmigiano, cheddar or any cheese)
- Add oil to a pan and mix in the vegetables, stirring regularly for 5 minutes until starting to brown.
- Add the stock, bring to the boil then reduce the heat, add the pasta and cook for 6-7 minutes with the lid on.
- Now add tomatoes, herbs and beans cover again and simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Check the pasta is cooked, season if needed, then put into bowls and serve sprinkled with grated cheese.
Chef’s tip from Lyndon
If using more delicate vegetables such as sugar snap peas, baby corn or mange tout, add them after 10 minutes cooking time.
Add leftover cooked chicken or sausages cut into pieces. Add cooked vegetables or 120g cooked pasta at the last minute. Baked beans, limp lettuce and celery are all good additions.
You can use most vegetables. Try shredded cabbage, frozen peas, green beans, runner beans, courgettes, aubergines, fresh tomatoes, broccoli, leeks, parsnip or spinach.
Try adding smoked ham, salami or chorizo, a blob of pesto or a clove of crushed garlic. Add a pinch of chilli if you like spicy food. Or add fresh herbs such as basil, parsley or chives.
For best results, cool down quickly (ideally within an hour), divide into portions, place in an airtight container, label and then pop in the freezer. Defrost in the fridge, ideally overnight, and use within 24 hours after defrosting. Reheat in microwave or covered in foil in the oven, heating thoroughly until piping hot.
Vegetarian and vegan options
Try adding some tofu or vegetarian meat alternative. Or stir in garlic and herb soya cream cheese just before serving instead of dairy cheese.
Can be made with gluten-free pasta or use 50g (2oz) rice instead. Gluten-free stock cubes are widely available. Use lactose/dairy-free cheese. If you’re avoiding tomatoes, just use double the stock instead.